Got some great nights out planned? Please remember to stay safe.
Check out our top tips below on how enjoy nights out with your new friends safely:
- Keep an eye on how much you’re drinking – it’s easy to get carried away on a night out but keep an eye on what you’re drinking and how much. And if you feel like you’ve had way too much, stop and go home.
- If you find yourself feeling uncomfortable or unsafe on a night out, you can go up to the bar and ask for ‘Angela’ – this will alert bar staff that you’re in an unsafe situation and they’ll call a taxi for you and keep you safe until it arrives
- Don’t add alcohol or drugs to anyone else’s drink. This is classed as spiking and is a criminal offence. It’s dangerous and can sometimes result in tragic consequences. If you think you’ve been spiked, find someone you trust and tell them at the time – this could be a friend or someone who works at a venue.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended – being spiked is never your fault and although cases of spiking are low around our sites, you still need to be careful. You can get anti-spiking drink covers and bottle top covers from the Union Bar at Exton Park.
After the event, please let the University or Chester Students’ Union know – we work with external partners around our sites to ensure our students are safe so we can share this information with them.
- Many routes back to our Chester and Shrewsbury sites from the city centre run alongside the water. Please be careful – and where you can, plan a journey home away from the water. If you do plan to take a route home which runs alongside a river or canal, please stick together, look after your mates and consider using a personal safety app like Hollie Guard.
- If you do find yourself in a situation where you need help:
☎️ Dial 999 in an emergency
☎️ Dial 101 in a non-emergency
☎️ If you need help at our sites, Security is available 24 hours a day – call 01244 511 541.
Or check out our Help in an Emergency tile on the UoC app for more emergency contacts.