At the University of Chester we have a dedicated Disability and Inclusion team who can offer support to students who have a physical impairment or mobility issue, mental health condition, additional learning need, or social/communication impairment.

You may not think of yourself as disabled, but it’s worth considering whether you may be entitled to support. 

Our team of experienced advisors can support students who;

  • ​have a physical impairment or mobility issue
  • have a mental health condition, such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety disorder ​
  • have a specific learning difference, eg, dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD​
  • have a social/communication impairment such as Asperger’s Syndrome/other Autistic Spectrum Disorder​
  • are Blind or have a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses​
  • are Deaf or have a serious hearing impairment​
  • have a long-standing illness or health condition such as cancer, HIV, diabetes, chronic heart disease, or epilepsy ​
  • have any condition which meets the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010

What can Disability and Inclusion help with?

Our Disability Support Officers offer information, advice and guidance in a range of areas such as:

  • reasonable adjustments and support during your studies
  • obtaining up to date supporting evidence
  • securing suitable university accommodation
  • making exam arrangements
  • provision of Support Workers
  • specialist equipment loan
  • funding applications (Disabled Students Allowance, Financial Assistance Fund)
  • liaison with academic departments
  • accessible parking.

How do I disclose a disability to the University of Chester?

If you’re a student at the University of Chester and you didn’t disclose your disability on your UCAS form, don’t panic – you can contact the Disability and Inclusion Team who will update your record accordingly. Disability and Inclusion will then advise on your next steps for accessing support.

Their service is confidential; however there are rare exceptions where confidentiality will not apply because the team will always act in the best interests of the student. For more information on confidentiality you can read this Privacy Statement.

Worried that disclosing a disability could affect your negatively as a student? Please don’t worry – disclosing your disability simply means you’ll have access to the help and support you’re entitled to. It will in no way affect you negatively.

Who are the Disability and Inclusion team?

The Disability and Inclusion team are made up of staff who have specialist knowledge and qualifications:

Disability Support Officers will provide advice and guidance on accessing external support through government organisations as well as internal support through the University. They will also look at any health and safety concerns relating to disabilities.

Internal Specialist Study Skills and Specialist Mentors support students with SpLDs and Mental Health difficulties.

Can Disability and Inclusion help me to get a disability diagnosis?

If you haven’t been officially diagnosed with a disability but you think you might have one of the impairments or conditions listed above, you’ll need to contact your GP – however, you can book a Quick Query appointment with our Disability and Inclusion team to talk you through your next steps. Email or call 01244 511550.

What is Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)?

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is additional funding which is available through the Student Loans Company (UK eligibility applies) to cover study-related costs you may incur due to a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

You receive DSA funding in addition to your standard funding allowances and this funding is grant based, which means that you’re not required to pay DSA funding back. If you’re a part-time student, your ‘course intensity’ can affect how much you get.

How can Disability and Inclusion help me to find accommodation?

Disability and Inclusion can recommend appropriate accommodation and adaptations to the Accommodation Office when they allocate rooms. The team requires medical evidence to support accommodation requests. These requests need to be made in advance of the final allocation in August.

Get in touch

You can contact the Disability and Inclusion team at any point before or after starting at the University of Chester and they will be happy to help.  Contact 01244 511550 or email

Posted in Support and Opportunities