Welcome to Learning and Information Services
Who are we?
Learning and Information Services (also known as LIS) have a wide-ranging remit to support the learning, teaching and research needs of the University. We provide access to a vast array of digital and print information resources, a wide range of study spaces across our library locations and provide access to a wealth of technologies enabled by staff expertise to help you study and learn effectively.
Services we offer:
We want you to make the most of your university experience. We provide a number of student-facing services that are there to help you make the most of your university experience. Whilst our libraries are a gateway to knowledge and learning, they are also a “home from home”, a place where you can feel relaxed and comfortable to help you learn.
- We provide comfortable, welcoming environments that are Wi-Fi enabled.
- Flexible study areas for individual and group study.
- PCs and loanable laptops. (Apple iMacs are also available via Seaborne Library, Queen’s Park Library and Kingsway LRC)
- Multi-functional devices you can use to scan, photocopy or print. If you prefer, you can also print from your own personal device – choose whichever method is most convenient for you.
- We provide a range of print resources which can be delivered to the library location easiest for you to collect from, however, where possible, we buy resources in digital format to enable opportunities for you to access anytime, anywhere.
- We automatically renew print resources on loan to you if no one else is waiting for them.
- If you find the details of a book or article we don’t have access to at the University that you need for your research, we provide a free on-demand service where we will get hold of what you require from either our suppliers or other libraries
- We offer a range of digital skills support. You can download Office 365 for free. This includes apps such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. For further information click here.
In addition, LIS also look after a number of key background operations to ensure your studies go smoothly.
- We enable Wi-Fi across University campuses and halls of residence.
- We support, maintain and upgrade the University’s IT equipment in line with student requirements.
- We provide technical support for university learning and teaching in classrooms and online systems including Moodle which you will use throughout your studies to access course information.
- We liaise with lecturers to purchase the library resources which are most relevant to your course of study (increasingly in online formats for flexibility of access), whilst ensuring our resources can be easily accessed and discovered.
- We deliver graphic design services to support the University’s initiatives to ensure the right messages are delivered to our audiences.
You can find the opening hours of our libraries (please check for arrangements for each library) and staffed Helpdesk support here.
You can also connect with our services through numerous virtual channels:
- Submit an enquiry through our virtual LIS Helpdesk by clicking here
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01244 51 1234.
- Virtual chat is available throughout Monday-Friday. Click here
You will meet our friendly staff when you visit any of our LIS Helpdesks located in each of the University libraries. They are often the first people from LIS you will connect with who can help with a range of library and IT enquiries. You may also interact with a broad range of experts including our librarians who can support you as you progress through your course of studies with training and development sessions delivered at appropriate points in the calendar year.
Our Librarians work with lecturers to offer opportunities within taught programmes to learn the necessary skills to navigate the maze of the information world. The team promote engagement with library resources and can help you with developing your skills to identify the best resources for your studies. These are also vital skills you will take beyond your studies into the world you work and live in.
Our Librarians also offer a range of skills sessions throughout the year and deliver a library streams channel where you can view recorded sessions to aid your skills development. Practical introductory topics include examples such as how to use ebooks effectively, through to sessions such as effective literature searching for your assignments.
If you’re not sure where to start, our librarians are here to help you.
Contact details of our librarians can be found by clicking here
Key points to remember:
- If you have a library or technology enquiry LIS is the place to go to for help.
- The easiest way to access our services is via the channels listed above under “Locating Support.”
- Tell us what you need – it helps you and also gives us more insights into wider student needs to ensure we provide the services you want.